- This event has passed.
Discover the brilliant light shining from the medieval manuscripts in the KBR museum during Bright Brussels, the festival of lights in Brussels.
Six centuries ago, Brussels belonged to the rich and powerful Dukes of Burgundy. They established a stirring treasure, a unique and fascinating collection of manuscripts: the Library of the Dukes of Burgundy.
Centuries ago, these masterpieces were copied and illuminated by hand, which means that the miniatures in the books were embellished with gold leaf. When light falls on such a manuscript, you get a three-dimensional effect that makes the reflected light seem to shine from the book itself.
During this nocturne, you will not only browse through this brilliant manuscript collection, but you will also get to work with pigment and paintbrush!Buy tickets Discover the KBR museum
Concert (6 p.m.- 7 p.m.)
Immerse yourself in music underneath the centuries-old Gothic vaults of the Nassau Chapel. You will be surrounded by manuscripts and artworks dating from the 15th century. An exclusive concert in an exclusive location.
Quatuor Flume (flute)
- Johann Sebastian Bach – Toccata (3min – solo)
- Claude Debussy – Syrinx (3min20 – duo)
- Johann Sebastian Bach – Allemande de la Partita (3min – solo)
- Jean Absil – Suite mystique pour Quatuor de flûte (12min)
Quatuor Fema (clarinet)
- Alfred Uhl – Divertimento pour 4 clarinettes (13min)
- Béla Kovács – Hommage à J.S. Bach (3min – solo)
- Béla Kovács – Hommage à Manuel de Falla (4min – solo)
- Heinrich Sutermeister – Capriccio pour clarinette seule (6min – solo)
- Michel Lysight – Tiles (6min – solo)
Open workshop: Painting with Pigments
In the workshops of medieval illuminators, there were no boxes of watercolors or tubes of gouache to be found. Instead, they made their colors from natural materials or with pigments from distant parts of the world.
Come and try it yourself and discover some exceptional manuscripts illuminated this way more than 600 years ago! Suitable for children from the age of 8, but equally fun for adults.
- When? On Saturday 18 February, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Where? At the KBR museum
- Price ?
- Standard ticket: 11 EUR
- Reduced tickets: 8 EUR
- 65+, students, groups of min. 15 people, Davidsfonds, Cultuursmakers
- <18 years, visitors with a disability (+ 1 accompanying adult), Lerarenkaart, Carte PROF, jobseekers, ICOM card, PASS musées, Belspo card, Brussels Card, valid press card
Tickets are available online, but also on site during the nocturne.Buy tickets
Discover the complete programme of Bright Brussels.