KBR will reopen on Monday 15 June. The reopening will happen in phases, to ensure a safe visit for all.
In phase 1 we will only allow people who have to physically consult documents for study or research purposes. If a scan of the document suffices, we ask you to opt for this solution (see ‘Digitisation on demand’).
These measures will remain in place at least until the end of August. Studying in the library will therefore not be possible this academic year.
Expanded digital services
Please make sure that the document that you need is not available via our digital services before reserving a seat in the reading room.
From 15 June, our online offering and digital services will be expanded:
- You will have structural remote access to BelgicaPress and BelgicaPeriodicals. Access to the entire digitised corpus – without any restrictions – is only allowed if the documents will be used as illustration for teaching or for scientific research. For this, you need to log in with your MyKBR account.
- Remote access to our electronic resources will be available via your MyKBR account.
- Digit on Demand: requests for (parts of) documents to be scanned and emailed so that you do not need to come to KBR.
No MyKBR account yet?Create your free account
1 reading room, limited opening hours
On 15 June, one reading room will open, where all types of documents can be consulted. Up to 20 readers can consult documents at the same time. Access to the reading room is therefore only possible following an online reservation.
All seats are intended for readers who need to physically consult documents for study or research purposes.
Reservation is required
It is compulsory to reserve a seat in the reading room.
- Reserve your seat online.
- You can reserve a seat for the morning or the afternoon time slot.
- Reserve a seat before you reserve any documents. Reference works also need to be reserved. Please reserve your documents 2 working days in advance (reference works too). This way, everything will be ready for you.
Limited opening hours
Monday to Friday:
- 10:00 – 12:45
- 13:15 – 16:00
You can arrive and depart whenever you prefer within the time slot you reserve.
Between the two time slots, the reading room closes so that all seats can be thoroughly cleaned.
Only the Rare Books reading room will be accessible, because it is located on level -2, close to the entrance. You can consult all types of documents there. This allows us to limit the spaces in which people circulate. The zone from entrance to reading room will be frequently cleaned.
The following safety measures are in effect:
- You must disinfect your hands on arrival and at the entrance to the reading room.
- You are required to wear a face mask until you are seated in the reading room. You can buy reusable masks in our shop.
- Please use the lockers at the entrance. They will be thoroughly disinfected after each use.
- The library regulations remain in force: bags, coats, food and drinks are prohibited in the reading room.
- Measures have been taken to guarantee social distancing. We ask you to respect these rules and follow the instructions of the staff for everyone’s safety.
Digitisation on demand
From 15 June we will expand the Digit on Demand service. You may request (parts of) documents to be scanned. The processing time of your request depends on the quantity and the type of documents you need. You will receive the digital files as soon as possible.
For the moment, the rates apply as published in the Moniteur belge.
Studying currently not possible
During the exams many students come to KBR to study. Studying in the library will unfortunately not be possible this academic year.
If you need to consult documents for your thesis or paper, you can reserve a place in the reading room. If a scan of the document suffices, we ask you to opt for this solution.
The current measures will remain in place at least until the end of August. We will monitor the situation closely, evaluate the reading room system continuously, and adjust it if necessary.
Step by step, we will allow more visitors in the building. At this moment we are unable to give you an exact date for the next phase. It will depend on the decisions of the Security Council, the evolution of the situation, and the instructions of the government.
We will update you on any major changes via our newsletter, website and social media. As soon as the opening date of the restaurant is fixed, you will also read about it there.