Belgium has been hiding a treasure for 600 years
Six centuries ago, Brussels belonged to the rich and powerful Dukes of Burgundy. Skilled politicians and cultured patrons, they established a stirring treasure, a unique and fascinating collection of manuscripts: the Library of the Dukes of Burgundy.
These masterpieces, which have survived the ravages of time and of history, have been looked after for you by KBR. It is now opening its vaults to share the highlights of this fantastic collection via its new museum. The sixteenth-century Chapel of Nassau and the various rooms that surround it will form the backdrop to the museum.
The museum offers you the opportunity to share in Europe’s medieval cultural past, and admire beautiful illuminated manuscripts.
These days, everyone knows about Jan Van Eyck and Rogier van der Weyden, but the miniature artists, responsible for producing illuminated manuscripts, are every bit as impressive. So much so that some say that the finest Flemish Primitive paintings can perhaps be found in manuscripts.
It is these original manuscripts that are at the heart of the new museum.
We will tell you the history of these books and the era that produced them. You will find out why you shouldn’t trust rabbits, in what way the Middle Ages were hilarious, how mermaids were spotted in Brussels, and discover how history books sometimes lie…
Opening 15 May 2020.
- Open Tuesday to Sunday, 10 am – 6 pm
- Closed on Mondays
- Closed on 1 January, Easter and Monday 15 August, 1 May, Ascension Day, Whit Monday, 21 July, 15 August, 1 November, 11 November, 25 December
KBR – Mont des Arts 28, 1000 Brussels
- Entry via the main entrance of KBR.
- Both the building and the museum are accessible for visitors with disabilities. Holders of a disabled parking permit can find parking spaces in front of the building, at Boulevard de l’Empereur 4.
- Standard : 11 EUR
- Concessions: 8 EUR
- 65+, students, groups of min. 15 people
- <18 years, visitors with a disability (+ 1 accompanying adult), teachers, jobseekers, ICOM card, friends of KBR
- In English, French, Dutch, German, Spanish
- Duration: 1,5 hours
- Max. 15 people per group
- Week: 85 EUR+ ticket at group rate
- Weekend : 95 EUR + ticket at group rate
Download the museum brochure
The brochure is available in 5 languages. Download the pdf version here: