The Royal Library of Belgium (KBR) is committed to ensuring the security and protection of the personal data that we process, and to provide a compliant and consistent approach to data protection. This GDPR Compliance Statement explains our approach to implementing GDPR for our social media collections. It describes the implementation of our social media data protection roles, policies, procedures, controls and measures to ensure ongoing compliance with GDPR.
What is BESOCIAL?
BESOCIAL is a KBR led and BELSPO funded project that aims to develop a sustainable strategy for archiving and preserving social media in Belgium. The collecting of this born digital data is done to ensure the preservation of this data source, to minimize information loss on the Web over time. Researchers can use this data to pose and answer new research questions, which can be linked to the social, historical and national importance for cultural heritage research in Belgium and abroad.
What is GDPR?
As of the 25th of May 2018, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) strengthens the rights of individuals regarding their personal data and seeks to unify national data protection laws across the European Union.
Our GDPR principles
The Royal Library of Belgium (KBR) takes the privacy and security of individuals and their personal data very seriously. We are committed to protecting your data; we are committed to never using it inappropriately; and we are committed to honesty and transparency. Our principles for processing personal data are:
- We will process all personal data fairly, lawfully and in a transparent manner
- We will only process personal data for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes
- We will comply with the data minimisation principle
- Where practical, we will keep personal data up to date
- We will not keep personal data for longer than is necessary
- We will process personal data in a way that ensures a high-level of security
- We have appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO): email@example.com
Data Subjects Rights under GDPR
At The Royal Library of Belgium (KBR), an individual can request information about:
- What personal data we hold about an individual
- The categories of personal data we collect from an individual
- The purposes for collecting and processing personal data from an individual
- How long we plan to keep the personal data
- The process to have incomplete or inaccurate personal data corrected or completed
- How to exercise their rights. You can send your request to the BESOCIAL team (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please keep your correspondence as concise as possible and specify the rights you want to exercise.
Within the BESOCIAL project social media data will be harvested and stored by KBR as part of our national cultural heritage.
For that we follow two purposes:
- archiving for scientific research (during the time frame of the BESOCIAL project, July 2020 – July 2022)
- archiving for the public interest
If you have any questions, comments and/or suggestions, please contact us: email@example.com.
Last updated – July 2021