|Good to know!
The legal deposit obligation applies to :
By “publisher”, the legislation means any natural or legal person who publishes or has published works at his own expense. This includes:
- organisations that publish publications, whether they are professional publishers or occasional publishers, for example a non-profit association or a local history society;
- co-publishers who edit a publication in collaboration with another organisation;
- author-publishers, i.e. authors who publish their own publications at their own expense, with or without the help of a supplier for production or distribution.
By “author” we mean the natural person who has created an original work protected by copyright. More specifically, this may be:
- the (co-)author of a text or screenplay;
- the illustrator;
- the (chief) editor or publishing
Belgian authors living abroad or Belgian translators are not obliged to register their works, but are cordially invited to do so on a voluntary basis.