Palace of Charles of Lorraine

Charles of Lorraine, governor of the Austrian Netherlands from 1744 to 1780, was an avid art and science enthusiast. His palace, the construction of which started in 1757, now houses the museum of the 18th century.


Entrée du PalaisOpening hours

The palace is closed for renovation works until 2019, when it will reopen to host the exhibition "The World of Bruegel in Black and White".



The Palace is part of the Royal Library of Belgium, with its own entrance:

Place du Musée 1

B-1000 Brussels





About the palace

An impressive staircase, adorned with a statue of Hercules sculpted by Laurent Delvaux, leads up to the first-floor rotunda. The rotunda's paving includes a central rosette made up of 28 types of Belgian marble, a sample of the Prince's collection of 5,000 minerals.Rotonde This wonderful floor art leads to five rooms decorated with stuccos and silk, where the governor would entertain his guests and take care of state affairs. The objects on display illustrate the life of aristocrats in the Austrian Netherlands and at the court of Brussels in the 18th Century: sedans, medals, china and silverware, clocks, Masonic objects, scientific and technical instruments, a music room, etc. Aesthetics, good food and entertainment take pride of place in a museum that also pays tribute to one of the most hedonistic princes our region has ever known.

The pieces on display are part of the collections of the Royal Library of Belgium, the Royal Museums of Art and History (Cinquantenaire Museum and Musical Instruments Museum) and private collections.



Venue hire: contact us for a visit to the Royal Library Meeting Centre or for a quotation, free of obligation.

Questions about the museum? Send us an e-mail on